
Israel vowed Sunday to launch further strikes against Hezbollah if it faces new threats, after Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon killed 11 people, including children, according to Lebanese authorities.
The attacks on Saturday were described as the deadliest since a U.S.-brokered agreement was reached in June with the aim of ending hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah.
Israel Says Strikes Were Retaliation
The Israeli military said the strikes were carried out in response to Hezbollah launching explosive-laden drones inside what Israel described as a “security zone” in southern Lebanon.
According to Israeli officials, the drone attack seriously wounded three Israeli soldiers, including an officer.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Israel would defend its soldiers and civilians with full force, warning that no attack would go unanswered.
Israel Identifies Hezbollah Commander
The Israeli military identified one of those killed in Saturday’s strikes as Abu Hassan Alaa, describing him as a senior commander in Hezbollah’s Badr unit and accusing him of involvement in launching drones at Israeli troops.
Israel had earlier said that another strike killed Ali Samir Al-Haj Hassan, whom the military identified as a commander in Hezbollah’s elite Radwan Force.
The Israeli military acknowledged that members of Hassan’s family were present during the strike but said they were not the intended targets.
Children Among Those Killed
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said an entire family was killed in the strike on the village of Ansar.
Lebanon’s Health Ministry reported that three children and two women were among those killed.
Imran Riza, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon, condemned the attack and stressed that civilians, particularly children, must be protected under international humanitarian law.
Israel and Hezbollah Trade Accusations
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Hezbollah of deliberately placing civilians in danger by operating among them.
Hezbollah rejected the Israeli account and accused Israel of killing another Lebanese family, blaming Netanyahu for the deaths.
The latest escalation comes amid continued tensions along the Israel-Lebanon border despite the U.S.-brokered agreement under which the Lebanese army is expected to gradually assume security responsibilities in southern areas currently occupied by Israel.
Hezbollah, however, has refused to disarm, leaving the group’s weapons and the future security arrangements in southern Lebanon among the most contentious issues in the fragile ceasefire.








